THE CLAIMS PERIOD HAS ENDED. NO ADDITIONAL CLAIMS ARE BEING ACCEPTED.
The Settlement was approved by the Court. Settlement checks were issued in February 2019.
If You Resided in Hartford, Connecticut and were Ordered to Leave Your Home by City of Hartford Code Enforcement Officials between January 1, 2010 and September 30, 2015, You Could Get Money from a Class Settlement Valued at $2,750,000.
Please read this Notice carefully to learn about your rights under the settlement. Your legal rights may be affected whether or not you act.
This Settlement resolves litigation concerning the Court’s finding that the City of Hartford did not operate its relocation assistance program in accordance with state law from January 1, 2010 through September 30, 2015 in the case entitled Serrano et al. v. Gaitor et al, CVH-8104-519.
Members of the Settlement Class are represented by Greater Hartford Legal Aid, Inc. (GHLA), a non-profit law firm that provides free legal services to its clients. If you have questions about this Settlement, please call GHLA for free help at (860) 541-5000.
How Do You Know If You Are Eligible To Receive A Payment From This Settlement?
To be eligible to receive a payment under this Settlement, you must:
- have been displaced from your home in Hartford, Connecticut, between January 1, 2010 and September 30, 2015, meaning that you were required to leave your home by City of Hartford code enforcement officials;
- submit a complete and timely Claim Form and show that you were the lawful occupant of the home that was condemned, meaning that the landlord/owner of the building knew you were living there and gave you permission to live there; and
- show that you were living in the condemned home for at least 90 days before it was condemned.
You will be required to submit documentation with your Claim Form, such as rent receipts, lease agreements, utility bills, or other reliable documentation showing that you are eligible for payment.
How Much Will You Be Paid?
- You may be entitled to a payment of up to $500.00 as reimbursement for moving and storage payments.
- If you are able to show that you were a lawful occupant of a condemned home in Hartford and that you resided in that condemned home for at least 90 days before it was condemned, you will be entitled to receive an additional payment of up to $4,000.00.
- If you received any relocation assistance payments from the City of Hartford when you were displaced, those payments will be deducted from the payment you receive from this Settlement.
- Your payment will also be reduced if you had a rental subsidy at the time that you were displaced that helped you pay for your replacement housing, or if you were able to return to a subsidized housing unit after a period of displacement.
All payments will be made per household or tenancy, not per person, with one payment issued per household or tenancy in most cases. If more than one household moved separately from the same address and all of those households file a claim, they may be entitled to separate payments if they provide supporting documentation showing that as a result of being displaced they moved separately into new homes.
If the number of claims submitted is greater than the amount of money that is available in the Claims Fund, all payments will be reduced proportionally.
When Will You Get A Payment?
Checks will be issued in late February 2019.